Photo Credit: New England Chess School
New England Chess School, founded in 2015, offers online and in-person chess classes for kids aged 6 – 14 years. NECS also offers chess camps and local chess clubs year round.
Classes focus on tournament participation and team building. The class will include a lecture, playtime, and occasional homework assignments to supplement in-class learning. Group lessons include games, puzzles, and strategies.
The curriculum is structured around six progressive skill levels:
- Pawn – younger kids and kids who aren’t yet familiar with chess
- Knight – kids who are capable of finishing the game by themselves, but haven’t yet perfected the most common chess tactics
- Bishop – kids who have already taken part in the tournaments and have a USCF rating of 300 and higher
- Rook – kids who have achieved a USCF rating of 900 and higher
- Queen and King – by invitation only
Classes are offered during after school hours and on weekends. The class calendar corresponds with Boston’s public school schedule.
Summer Clinics and Classes
NECS also offers a summer program with both online and in-person sessions.