The Jose Mateo Ballet Theatre has presented original ballet works and new interpretations of classical ballets since 1987 and is renowned for producing New England’s longest running production of The Nutcracker. The company aims to create an innovative approach to ballet training that welcomes diversity and ensures unanimous participation by all students. The Theatre offers three distinct summer programs for students aged 3-20 looking to continue their training through the summer: 1) Summer Elementary Program, 2) Summer Performance Intensive Program and 3) Summer Boys Program.
Summer Elementary Program
The 6-week Elementary Program introduces young dancers aged 3-12 to the joy of music and movement in creative movement, pre-ballet, and ballet classes. Classes engage, inspire and develop real skills that will last a lifetime.
- Creative Dance. Children aged 3-4 engage in singing, games, stories, folk dance, and creative movement exercises. Students discover their ability to express themselves creatively through dance movement.
- Pre-Ballet. Students aged 5-6 expand their range of experience through dance rhythms and movements in pre-ballet. Classes emphasize freedom of movement through improvised and choreographed exercises.
- Ballet. Students aged 7-12 participate in structured exercises at the barre and center and learn basic positions, steps and dance phrases. Classes highlight the joys of music and movement in a more formal introduction to classical ballet vocabulary and beginning technique.
Summer Performance Intensive Program
Jose Mateo Theatre offers a 6-week rigorous ballet training program. Dancers will discover new potential and master unexpected levels of ability an artistic creativity in a welcoming environment with a staff of dedicated and highly qualified instructors. The Summer Intensive Program is designed for students looking for a rigorous ballet training program and focuses on small class sizes and individual attention. Curriculum includes technical training, performance skills, and daily rehearsals in preparation for public performances.
Students must attend an audition prior to registration. Out-of-town dancers who are accepted into the program may work with the Theatre to find housing with local host families.
Summer Boys Program
The Summer Boys Program introduces young male students aged 7-11+ to the fundamentals of ballet in a nurturing, all-boys classroom setting. Students will develop critical skills for the body and mind including musicality, flexibility, coordination and physical fitness in a fun environment.
- Creative movement, singing, folk dance, games
- Dance rhythm, movement, pre-ballet improvised and choreographed exercises
- Structured barre exercises, basic positions, steps and dance phrases
- Musicality, flexibility, coordination, physical fitness
- Boys program
- Technical training, performance skills, daily rehearsals
- Public performances