Welcome to the Discussion Forum

This is Motherly Life.

Notifications
Clear all

What is your response for parents who want to drop sibling at bday party?

7 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
(@Guest)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

We're hosting a bday party for 3yo. One parent has just asked if it's ok to bring the older brother of child invited because the father can't watch the brother. My initial reaction is get a babysitter or decline the invite. Am I too negative? What is your experience - this is our first big party for our child, invited all the kids in the preschool class.

(@Guest)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Sounds like a classmate vs a close friend and in that case I agree with the others. The kids who are invited and your child are the priority. You're not being too negative. It's odd in my opinion to think an invite to a kids party is an invite to bring the whole family. Parties are lots of work and it doesn't seem right to burden you with even more when you're trying to celebrate your kid's birthday. Good luck!!

DW77 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
Eminent Member

We say no. It's a party for our child to invite their friends. if the siblings have also become their friend, then we invite both on the original invite.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
Eminent Member

We say no. It's a party for our child to invite their friends. if the siblings have also become their friend, then we invite both on the original invite.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
Eminent Member

Yes, agree! if they can't get a babysitter, then the kid should skip the party. Why should your family and the birthday boy/girl become a babysitter for the day?

Simdu and LexisWW reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
Eminent Member

We've gotten that request: for little bro/sis to join. Generally it doesn't bother us. If we know the family has a younger sibling, we put them on the invite. Come one come all the more the merrier.

ReplyQuote
 DW77
(@dw77)

When it's indoors at a venue like Jump On In, we limit the extended invites until everyone else has responded. If there is a spot available, then we go back to the invited families and invite the siblings, provided they're the right age for that party spot.

ReplyQuote
(@lexisww)

We had the same experience. In hindsight I would’ve said No. The 6yo brother at a 3yo bday party was too old; he became irritable because he was bored I guess. It was a distraction I would have preferred not having to deal with that day.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: