Clear all

Newborn baby weight gain

6 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone. Can you give me your advice? Newborn came home at 6lb8oz, a few ounces less than birth weight. he lost a few more ounces in first week, before I realized I wasn't producing enough. We put him on supplement at about 3 weeks and now the doc is saying he is gaining too much weight. She recommends we cut back on the formula. None of my friends ever heard that from their pediatricians. does it make sense that a baby (he's 6 weeks now) can gain too much weight?

Julie

(@Anonymous)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The more weight the merrier! Try not to stress Julie. Maybe you could ask the doc why she's concerned and ask for clarification if you're still unsure. In my experience, babies tend to sleep better when they've eaten well. That's good for all!

ReplyQuote
 K R
(@k-r)

There probably are cases when a baby is gaining too much weight. i'm not a pediatrician, but based on your post, it doesn't seem like your baby falls into that category. that would seem like a more extreme situation. like the prior poster suggested, can the baby's pediatrician provide a better explanation and reason for the comment?

ReplyQuote
(@karaokequeen)

Sounds like it may be a good thing. Or at least one of those things that you monitor without worry (as much as that's possible with babies). I have heard of possible thyroid imbalances being a reason for weight gain, but not sure I've ever heard that apply to babies so young. Could you talk to your pediatrician ask him to be more specific, as in do you just cut back on the supplement? Find the right balance. Try not to worry honey. This is likely one of those nice problems to have. 😊 

ReplyQuote
(@beachy)

We dealt with a similar question years ago. The pediatrician we had at that time said that a baby isn't gagging or isn't throwing up, then the baby isn't overeating. I'm not saying don't worry, that's not for me to say, I am just saying there is probably not a health risk.

All the best, Vanessa

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 17119)

Grats! what a healthy looking baby

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: