Welcome to the Discussion Forum

This is Motherly Life.

What makes your ele...

Notifications
Clear all

What makes your elementary school great?

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@skibabe)
Topic starter  

Do you have a great elementary school in your district? What is it do you think makes it great? If you're willing, please share city, state where you live.

Curious,

TD

(@Guest)
Eminent Member

When we moved to our city (02461), we heard about the amazing school. The buildings were brand new, beautiful facilities. But then our kids enrolled. The school would be great were it not for the district's unbalanced focus on equity. I'm all for supporting students who need extra time, but what happens in our school is the students who are capable of advancing academically are held back waiting for the rest. Needless to say, we switched to a private school.

What makes that school great is the true focus on academics. And lots of extracurricular activities offered. You may laugh, but what I like most is that kids get recess every day and PE 2x/week. Why are so many other schools dropping physical activity? It's important to develop those good habits and it's important for the brain, too.

Interesting discussion topic. I look forward to hearing what others have to say.

ReplyQuote
(@kindkids)

We have great schools (Austin) in our district. It's very family oriented, supported by the community and the district has always been open to feedback, making changes and continue to improve. The academics may be at par with some of the greats of NY or MA, but our schools prepare kids for their future. A high percentage are accepted into excellent colleges.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Hey we're neighbors. Close enough anyhow - we're in Brookline. Our good friends in Newton have had a similar issue with the school system. They couldn't make it work to switch to private, but I'm sure they would like to if they could.

ReplyQuote
(@mamamamamama)

We live in Fort Worth and our district is great (elementary level). Academics is a priority. Teachers are easy to approach and make time for the kids. There are some extracurricular activities, but not many choices until middle school.

This post was modified 1 year ago by MamaMamaMama

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 17119)

Good teachers, environment and of course the tuition fees

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 17130)

Friends of course

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 17131)

The friendships built on trust

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 17133)